Meta sentence: It is possible to live in a clutter free house by putting a system in place with the help of all family members
Moms always complain about their children driving them crazy with the mess and clutter they leave in the whole house. No amount of requests and admonishments faze their wards, so the mothers end up cleaning the mess and clutter themselves.
In such cases a system has to be put in place to make the house clutter free and relieve the mom of extra, clean up duties. Above all, the children themselves will be able to learn to pick up after themselves.
Do not fret moms! Here are some tips to help you work towards clearing up the clutter and mess in your house. Try them out.
Be a good model to your child.
Be systematic and clutter free yourself, as children learn by observing and modeling adult behaviours.
Use a democratic method of disciplining your child at all times.
This method will help your child understand that cluttering will always be frowned upon and invite some disciplinary action from you.
Purge one room at a time
Ensure that all family members work as a team at all times for cleaning up each room as it will save time and energy. First, select a room and gather all the redundant and useless materials from it. Segregate the materials that can be donated and throw away the rest without a second look.
Repeat this exercise for cleaning up all the rooms.
Have a place for everything
After you clean up the house of all the useless materials, designate a place for every category of materials such as, clothes, bags, toys, games and so on, in the given rooms.
If need be rearrange or install hooks, racks, cupboards and other storage items. After that ensure that everyone tries hard to stick to the maxim of “Place everything in its own place”.
Keep storage bins for temporary storage
To continue having a clutter free house, keep some bins at strategic places in select areas and rooms of the house. Each family member tosses things in the designated bin, for temporary storage. Stick a picture to help children identify the right bin .At a selected time all members can help put each material where it belongs. Repeat, till it becomes a habit.
Make a special system for your child
- Assign a place for your child to play and make a mess.
- Teach him to clean up from time to time and put things in their right place, instead of scattering them around.
- When you buy new toys and games, either rotate them or donate the old ones with your child’s help. Thus, your child will not be overwhelmed with the burden of keeping a pile of things, systematically.
- Store your child’s day to day clothing, toys, games and school materials segregated and within reach to promote self help. Label each category of storage place with a corresponding picture to the materials stored.
- Everyday, before going to bed, you and your child can keep together his packed school or daycare bag, water bottle and lunch box for the next morning, at one place, for your easy reach. Your child’s uniform, school badge, socks and shoes may be placed together in his room within his reach.
Use a checklist if necessary.
Your daily inputs will save you a lot of running around and turning things upside down to search for things at the last moment.
The article offers tips to mothers to remove the mess and clutter, especially created by their children at home. If all the family members participate in this exercise, it will help conserve time and energy of mothers and develop in others the habit of picking up after themselves.
With a little patience and lot of practice, mothers will be able to work out their own system for keeping the house clutter free.