MamyPoko’s definitive guide to changing your world, one diaper at a time
The thought of changing up to 10 (yes, 10!) diapers a day, isn’t at the top of your list of magical milestones, but let’s face it, it’s necessary. And you’ll no doubt find that when the poo hits the fan, those willing visitors who couldn’t wait to help out in any way possible, will decide to suddenly head home! But changing diapers isn’t as daunting as you think. Follow these tips and you will soon be able to change diapers with your eyes closed.
Tips to choose the best diaper for your baby
Whether you are an expecting mom or a new one, you are bound to get baffled by the variety of disposable diapers available in the market. Here are a few tips to get you sorted while buying the best diaper for your baby.
1. Get a diaper with a good absorbent core: The better the absorbency, the drier your baby’s bottom is going to be. For a whine-free baby it’s important that you look at the diaper that promises to hold more liquid. MamyPoko’s crisscross absorbent sheet, absorbs seven glasses of urine and spreads it equally so urine does not collect at one place and the diaper does not look heavy.
2. Get the right fit: If you don’t get the right fit, you may end up with various issues like leakage, diaper rash or a whiny baby. Even at the same age and stage, it’s not necessary that every baby will fit into the same diaper, for example your six-month-old might fit into a smaller size in Brand A, while he may fit into a medium size in Brand B. This is because the diaper sizes are mostly categorised according to the weight.
3. Get the smallest package of diapers: When you are trying out a new diaper, don’t get too excited with the huge super-saver packs. Try out these smaller packs first and buy in bulk when you find one that suits your requirement.
4. Purchase the diaper from online shopping sites:Most of the retailers are not ready to give you a huge discount on diapers or even a minimum discount. Shopping online gives you an opportunity to try out many brands, save more through discounts, cash backs and many more offers.
Step-by-step guide to changing diapers
1. Lie your baby on his back on a changing mat or folded towel. Using a pant style diaper means it’s easy to take off. All you have to do is tear the sides, and you’re done! But, you need to watch out for fresh leaks. Use a baby wipe to wipe off any excess poo. Holding his legs up, slide your baby’s diaper out from under him. Clean his bottom with a baby wipe (for girls, wipe from front to back to avoid spreading germs). Pat him dry with a tissue or soft towel.
2. Let your baby have a nudie kick for a few minutes. Apply petroleum jelly or a barrier cream to stop his skin from getting sore. Loop your hands into the leg holes of your baby’s diaper, one by one, and gently pull his legs through. Once both legs are through the holes, simply move the diaper in place. Make sure the waistband of the diaper fits snugly around his waist.
3. Now, lift up your baby and examine your handiwork. Remember, you need to pay close attention that the pant style diaper isn’t too tight. To make sure the diaper isn’t too tight, slide a finger between the diaper and his tummy. You shouldn’t have to struggle when doing this.
4. Now, dispose off the dirty diaper and wash your hands. There you go, you’re all done!