Last time we covered Part II of our ongoing series titled “Healthy foods and proactive Moms” which illustrated the need to develop a clutch of micro lists to serve as reference material of her child’s food needs and preferences, among other things. Part III herein, will suggest proactive strategies for a mother in offering healthy foods to her child.
Strategies for Mom
- Hold a family meeting and collectively decide that each member will never say no to tasting new or healthy foods, especially after knowing their health benefits.
- Hold a one on one meeting with your child. Discuss the health benefits of the healthy food disliked by the child. Also, Discuss the need and type of her involvement in preparing a creative, attractive, and tasty dish.
- Impress upon the child that he will first taste the said dish and gradually learn to eat it from the plate. Invite a few of her child’s friends to a meal, in which the said dish is served and hopefully enjoyed by everyone.
- Use your creativity to introduce the healthy food in different ways and forms. Try different permutations and combinations with other foods too. As soon as your child likes any dish from this endeavor, write down its recipe in a book kept for that purpose. Prepare this dish often.
- Hold children’s group competitions on preparing healthy foods in your neighborhoods. This will encourage children to eat healthy foods.
- Likewise, encourage your child to play games, have debates and any other activity covering healthy foods. Read stories on importance of health and nutrition for children.Use any other strategy you may know that works for you and your child.
And do not forget to spend quality time with your child and sometimes make conversation on importance of Health, Nutrition and Healthy Foods. Give the pros and cons of not eating a balanced diet.