This is the third article in our series titled “You are our Hero” for older children. Please download the article and share with your older kids as well as those from your neighborhood. It has outreach activities by older children and involvement of adult experts from the community.
Hi Boys and Girls,
Here is the third article and as promised it has a much bigger role for you to play a Hero, outside your home. However, you will work along with other older children from your school, building or neighborhood, under the guidance and monitoring of responsible adults such as parents and your school teachers. Occasional help will be needed from your local organizations.
Together, you can organize group activities in order to play a useful role in society and be Heroes at the same time.
Today we shall choose the topic of Environment for an illustrative example. Like this, you may select any relevant topic and develop your action project.
Before you begin:
- First, form a small group of boys and girls and select a leader and a deputy .Take permission from your parents to partake in such activities within the time limits allotted by them. Also ask permission from your school authorities to provide facilities and all help possible to carry out the outreach activities.
- Simultaneously, Nominate 2 parents and/or 2 teachers to be group members. They will supervise and monitor, as well as help coordinate your activities at outreach level.
- Now you can hold meetings to select a topic, plan a project around it, and put it into action.
Some project ideas on environment
- Plant flowering/other plants at strategic places in your school and neighborhood to beautify the place. Think of long term care needed to maintain the plants.
- Arrange talks/ exhibitions/other at school or in your neighborhood, with help from NGOs and local resources.
- *Hold visits to compost making areas and hold talks on segregation and recycling of garbage in the categories of dry, wet and electronic items, and, how to dispose off garbage in the best way possible
- *Hold talks at schools and in the communities to encourage people to grow plants on terraces or in balconies.
*Hold rallies and post messages at strategic places to encourage people to avoid plastic bags. Make signs and paste at strategic places. Include the danger and harm that plastic can cause to the environment.
- *Hold workshops on making various types of paper bags and teach it to families who need to earn extra money out of selling paper bags.
- *Have a photo exhibition- project, on topic of “Sidewalk Littering and Encroachment”. Use the school premises for the exhibition as it has the entire infrastructure.
- *Organize a joint collection drive with an NGO, to collect old newspapers, books and clothes, in your neighborhood or school. The NGO will help reach the items to people who can recycle them for use.
Once you start off, you will have more creative ideas on how to save the environment from pollution and degradation at your level. Follow your goals and be the Heroes!
Note: Next time we will print our fourth and last article of the series. It will be Part II to the present article. It will mention a few more project ideas and offer detailed guidelines of project planning and implementation.
Go for it girls and boys