Pregnancy is the perfect time to take advantage of spa treatments, even if you haven’t enjoyed the benefi ts of spas before. During the prenatal period, hormonal, physical and emotional changes can all cause you to feel in need of some tender loving care. And there’s no better place than a spa for soothing sore muscles and bringing out your natural glow. With a few precautions, spa visits can be an important part of your pregnancy routine.
PHYSIOLOGICAL CHANGES TO EXPECT DURING PREGNANCY
● Stretch marks, rashes and pigmentation.
● Increased sensitivity to chemicals, especially early in pregnancy.
● Dry skin can become oily and puffy. Circulation
● Impaired lymphatic drainage resulting in swollen feet or ankles.
● Mild to intense varicose veins
● Pre-eclampsia—high blood pressure due to excessive water retention
● Hypotension—due to physiological anaemia setting in with pregnancy.
THERAPIES YOU MUST AVOID WHEN PREGNANT
Any treatment and procedure employing heat such as:
● Mud baths
● Steam rooms
● Hot tubs
● Hot wax used over large areas
● Heated seaweed wraps.
PRENATAL TREATMENTS YOU CAN INDULGE IN
● Massage is ideal for reducing lower back pain, eliminating swelling, and relaxing tired muscles
● Facials are excellent therapies for deep-cleansing of the skin and gently increasing circulation
● Champi in sitting position
● Spice poultice (only for legs)
PRECAUTIONS YOU MUST TAKE
● Attention must be given to positioning during the massage. After around 18 weeks of pregnancy, you shouldn’t lie fl at on your back since the heavy uterus may compress a large blood vessel called the vena cava, causing a precipitous drop in blood pressure.
● The best massage tables for use during pregnancy have a cutout for the belly. Alternately, the belly can be propped with pillows or a massage chair can be used .
● Avoid direct pressure over abdomen and thighs.
● Reflexology should be avoided in the first and last trimester.
● Ideally, massages should be done in the lateral lying position.
● In the case of treatments in which you have to lie down for more than one hour in supine position, your knees should be semi-flexed and you should take the support of a pillow.