Travel along with filmmaker and mother, Arwa Mamji, as she leaves her life in Mumbai behind, to jet set across the world and experience new things, all with her baby girl. Here are a few anecdotes from her experiences
Introduce these 12 happy mum habits into your day and watch what happens.
The right nursing bra is key to keep your latching breasts comfortable and healthy.
Atiya Darbar and Afra Kochra, co-founders of Kiddiegram, tell you where you need to be this weekend, particular if you fancy eating out with your kids.
By Pooja Duggal, Founder & CEO, Healthhunt.in
The biggest challenge in motherhood, especially for new mothers, is keeping it together 24*7. Diaper changes, hourly feeds, sleepless nights, long days, and a feeling of absolute horror at your own changing body.As a mother, you are always switched-on regardless of the hour or situation. I’ll tell you how I got through the first year with my little one, Aramnaya. The secret is learning to be in a meditative state. For that, I’m thankful to years of practice and dedication to yoga, mindfulness, and meditation. With the incorporation of meditation into daily life, a higher state of consciousness is born within us. Believe me, this isn’t just some voodoo advice. Yoga and dhyana (meditation) helped me:
- Maintain a good balance in life
- Stay composed when this balance de-stabilised from time to time (and it’s completely normal).
But yoga or treadmill or even Pilates won’t make a dent if what you put into your body isn’t right. Even if you’re not “eating for two”, what you eat still matters. It’s a well-known fact that at the time of lactation, a new mother needs just as much nutrition (if not more) as in pregnancy.
Food is not just calories; food talks to your DNA and enables (or disables) your body to do just about anything. So, all the new mommies out there, here’s everything you need to do (and not do) in order to beat stress, nurture your body, stay sharp, and be an absolutely badass mommy, all in all. Bonus: These tips will help you go back to your pre-baby body faster!
- At the risk of quoting cliché, there is really no other hack except to eat healthy and exercise when your body is ready. I had a C-section, so I didn’t exercise for 3 -4 months, except gentle yoga and leisurely walks which helped me tremendously in gaining back my stamina and pre-pregnancy body. Less is more at this time, so don’t you start running marathons just yet. Take it slow.
- The important element is what you eat. The golden hack of weight-loss is – 80% food and 20% exercise. You really are what you eat. I am a very ‘all for natural and organic’ kind of person. And even though I’m proud to say that I managed to practise a healthy lifestyle overall, like every tired, sleepless, new mother, I’ve also given in to some cravings, and enjoyed some rather exquisite treats. Still, I encourage you to read into what’s missing in your body, analyse your food habits, and incorporate these essentials into your diet: All types of lentils and beans, spinach, kale and other green leafy vegetables, almonds, walnuts, eggs, hemp seeds, chia seeds, avocados, ghee, and coconut.
- Don’t compare yourself to other pregnant ladies or to someone who just gave birth. While it’s great to get advice from other new moms, remember the concept of ‘bio individuality’. There’s no one-size-fits-all diet or regimen – each person is a unique individual with highly individualised nutritional and exercise requirements. Personal differences in anatomy, metabolism, body composition, and cell structure determine what really make you feel your best. Find your own routine with your little one and make sure to keep yourself engaged in activities otherwise that give you joy. Find time for yourself; there is no shame in that. Don’t be shy to ask for help. Lastly, switch off from mommy duty for a couple of hours every day.
This is the time to shower the little one with love and affection, and yourself with rest and recuperation. There is no point getting stressed about weight loss and breast feeding. Everything will fall into place with time, trust me. No matter how mentally prepared you are, like I said, there will still be days when you will be overwhelmed. Be sure to stay positive and happy, as a happy mommy makes a happy baby!
There’s nothing quite like a quick getaway, particularly during the madness that usually makes up the Indian monsoons. For the most of us, curling up with a good book and a hot cup of masala chai, sounds like something right out of a fairy tale. For those of us with kids, these are usually pipe dreams. But what if we told you that these dreams are, in fact, quite attainable. Read on to find out some child-friendly destinations that are perfect for your monsoon travels.
ALILA FORT BISHANGARH, JAIPUR
This is a new destination waiting to be explored at leisure. Between the Bishangarh village and the city of Shahpura, Alila Fort Bishangarh is well placed to explore the beauty and charm of rural Rajasthan. The hotel is a combination of innovative design and luxury in unique locations, set apart by an unprecedented level of private space, crafted artisanship, personalised hospitality, and bespoke learning journeys. Fort Bishangarh is a must-vist for anyone looking to escape the wet and dreary monsoons, for perhaps a little bit of sun. Alila Fort Bishangarh—a 230-yearold defence fortress—is hidden away in the Aravalli hills in Rajasthan, a world away from the crowds on the conventional Jaipur-Jodphur-Udaipur trail, and is an hour’s drive from Jaipur. So why does Alila Fort Bishanagarh make for the perfect family getaway destinations? It’s simple. The luxury hotel offers guests:
● Wireless Internet access throughout the resort
● Daily morning Yoga classes based on weekly schedule
● Access to 24-hour gym facilities
● Alila Living toiletries and bath amenities
● Access to PLAY, Alila kids’ club with indoor games and activities
So, what are you waiting for, pack your bags and book your stay now! Additionally, the hotel is currently offering their Gift-to- Share Programme, where 50 per cent of the proceeds after the cost of services, are donated directly to the local school Rajkiya Balika Uch Vidyalaya. The 2-night Gift to Share package starts from `12,000 approx.) per night, based on twin sharing and excluding local taxes. This package also includes daily breakfast and Alila hospitalities.
ONE&ONLY PALMILLA, MEXICO
If international travel is on the cards, we have just what you’re looking for. One&Only Palmilla, Los Cabos, Mexico, set at the edge of the stunning Baja Peninsula, where golden desert sands meet breathtaking turquoise waters has an extraordinary view of the landscape, and beachfront access to one of the few swimmable beaches in the region. The KidsOnly Club is complimentary to its guests, and is carefully supervised by a highly- trained and certified team. A full programme of entertainment and activities is offered daily and tailored for each age group. Activities range from golf, jewellery making, and painting to piñata making, along with educational programmes like Spanish lessons and cooking classes. With KidsOnly at One&Only Palmilla children, age four to 11, get a chance not only to meet playmates but also learn and experience new things while providing parents a little time to relax, unwind and even reconnect.
While the younger guests enjoy their time at KidsOnly, parents can lose themselves at the most celebrated destination spa and wellness retreat in Mexico, One&Only Spa. Inspired by ancient traditions and the most progressive result-driven therapies, a curated collection of treatments enhances each individual journey of rejuvenation and renewal. Highly trained therapists use ESPA products features the purest extracts of natural ingredients, ensuring the experience is both holistically therapeutic and very personal.
Starting at `49,000/- approximately per room, per night, create special moments that will last a lifetime with Sweet Family Escape package. The offer includes:
● Stay four nights, pay for three
● Two children under 12 years of age eat for free
● Daily ice cream
● Complimentary three-hour babysitting service per stay
● One&Only souvenir
● Signature welcome tequila beverage
● Choice of cocktail snacks delivered daily
Book before September 30, 2017 to avail this offer.
JW MARRIOTT WALNUT GROVE RESORT & SPA, MUSSOORIE
Could there possibly be a more scenic view than the Himalayas set against the plush greenery that’s synonymous with the monsoons? Our guess is no. This hilly hideout, while a must-visit all year round, makes for a great place to retreat to, especially if you’re looking to head to higher altitudes to enjoy the rains. Moreover, this resort offers a whole calendar of activities dedicated to its young guests. Some of these include farm walks, salsa lessons and cooking demos, as well as a heated indoor splash pool and a bicycling track with bikes for rent.
The resort’s entertainment centre and kids’ club—The Den—offers their young guests a variety of entertainment options. Spread over 12,000 acres of land, The Den includes a two-lane bowling alley, billiards and pool tables, gaming consoles, creative activities like art and craft, a wellstocked library and board games. This all-in-one entertainment hub also has the additional facility of trained activity managers to ensure the safety of children. The Den also features a marketplace for snacks and beverages.
And if that’s not all, the resort also offers trained nannies for babies to specially curated menus that are perfect for kids. And if a couple is looking to spend some quality time together, they can always indulge in a spa day or avail of one of the resorts unique dining experiences, be it a lunch at the JW farms, breakfast by the stream, a picnic-style lunch at the Pine Forest or lunch at the greenhouse. You’re definitely going to be in the heart of nature.
Now, if you’re travelling with grandparents, the resort has you covered. They’re definitely going to go above and beyond to make sure you and your entire family are comfortable, and having the time of your lives. Some unique experiences catered to the elderly include:
● Yoga at the JW Lawns every morning and on request sessions of Hatha Yoga
● Fitness schedules with experts
● Special diet charts and menus for guests with dietary restrictions
● Connecting and easy accessibility rooms
A stay at this hillside escape ranges between `15,000/- to `40,000/- approximately per room, per night, and entitles guests to:
● Breakfast for two at JW Cafe
● Four course set meal at any of the resort’s specialty restaurants: Trout House Grill and Bar, Teppan or Wisteria Deck.
● 10 per cent discount on spa treatments.
Image source: senivpetro / Freepik